Aloe vera is a succulent plant that has been used for its medicinal properties for centuries. Most people are familiar with its ability to aid in the healing of cuts and wounds and the benefits of aloe vera in health and beauty products. And if you are on a weight loss journey, aloe vera may help with that as well.
Recently, it’s become an ingredient making up the foundation of many supplements, juices, and weight loss drinks. The aloe vera plant is rich in nutrients and has active compounds that can help aid in weight loss while improving hair and skin quality.
If you’re interested in learning how this versatile plant can help you lose weight, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we will review the benefits of using aloe vera to help you lose weight, how aloe vera can be used for weight loss, and some side effects you may experience.
Benefits of Aloe Vera for Weight Loss
Here are some of the many benefits of using aloe vera for weight loss.
- It helps you detox. Aloe vera gel contains acemannan, a complex carbohydrate that accelerates the cells' ability to absorb nutrients and nourishes and detoxifies them.
- Boosts metabolism — By boosting your metabolism, your body burns more fat. The vitamin B in aloe vera helps to convert stored fat into energy which helps with weight loss.
- Anti-inflammatory — Loaded with antioxidants, aloe vera helps fight inflammation in the body. And while weight loss and antioxidants don’t have a direct link, many foods high in antioxidants also help with weight loss.
- Reduces water retention — Since aloe vera can have a laxative effect, it can help fight water retention. And while it can help reduce “water weight,” it’s temporary and is not a reasonable way to lose weight.
- Helps with digestion — Weight gain is often linked to poor digestive health or an unhealthy gut. The laxative properties in aloe vera can aid in digestion.
- Healthy heart — Aloe vera is believed to fight cholesterol and help regulate blood sugar, both of which are healthy for your heart.
How to Consume Aloe Vera for Weight Loss
There are multiple ways to consume aloe vera to aid in weight loss. The important thing to remember is that you should consume it in small quantities to avoid side effects. And if you have trouble with frequent diarrhea, it may be in your best interest to avoid aloe vera altogether.
There are three parts to an aloe vera leaf - the skin, latex, and gel. You can use the skin and gel of the plant in recipes, but be sure to remove the latex layer.
Aloe vera can have a bland or bitter taste, so it’s easier to consume if you mix it with a more flavorful substance. Many people will use the gel in shakes, smoothies, salsas, or vegetable juice. You can also mix it with warm water or lemon juice (both of which can speed up weight loss) or add a few drops of honey for a sweeter flavor.
You can also add the skin to a stir fry or salad. After you slice and wash the skins, soaking them in water for 10-30 minutes before using them can help soften them.
Side Effects of Aloe Vera
Some side effects have been associated with ingesting aloe vera. Some of which are:
- Digestive issues are the most common side effect. Aloe vera sometimes acts as a laxative which could cause stomach cramps and diarrhea. Regular or excessive use could lead to electrolyte imbalances and dehydration.
- It can affect the absorption of some medications. So if you take any medications or have any health conditions, speak to your doctor before taking aloe vera.
- Blood sugar levels can be affected by consuming aloe vera. It has been shown that aloe vera can decrease blood sugar levels which could put you at risk of hypoglycemia.
Let Aloe Laboratories Help on Your Weight Loss Journey
You can find aloe vera in many weight loss products. And while it can help aid in weight loss by helping to stabilize blood sugar and boost metabolism, its use doesn’t come without certain risks. As with any supplements, It’s essential to speak with your doctor before adding aloe vera to your diet. You should also ensure that you purchase aloe vera products from a reputable supplier.
At Aloe Laboratories, we have over 30 years of experience providing customers with quality, organic aloe vera products. We have over 150 acres of 100% certified organic aloe vera, where all cultivation, planting, and harvesting are done by hand to ensure only the best becomes part of your product.
Contact us today to find out more.